The Tobacco Mountains and Waterfalls Tour
An absorbing two-night tour that visits Cuba’s most beautiful countryside in the west of the island, along with a variety of carefully chosen visits enroute. The Tobacco, Mountains & Waterfalls Tour offers you the chance to enjoy one of Cuba’s most beautiful regions, preserved by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site and also allows some independence to explore on your own or simply relax. You can also choose your own activities and dining options at times.
- Explore the picturesque Las Terrazas National Park and engage with the local rural community
- Enjoy a unique tour to of the spectacular UNESCO World Heritage site of Vinales Valley
- Discover the process of making Cuba’s world-famous cigars
- An organic lunch platter at Finca Paraiso, the farm that caught the attention of President Obama
- A visit to Soroa a stunning natural area of rolling hills and beautiful tropical scenery
- A visit to Soroa’s waterfall and famous botanical gardens
- 2 Nights / 3 Days
- We use a mixture of very well located, good quality casas particulares and hotels.
- On the last day, it is possible to transfer you to the beaches of Varadero or Jibacoa, or after an overnight stay in Havana, you can continue to Trinidad, Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Coco or further afield. Alternatively, simply return to Havana or elsewhere for more exploration time.
Private Tour Available
The Tobacco Mountains and Waterfalls Tour Itinerary Highlights
Day 1 | Las Terrazas
Head to the rural province of Pinar Del Rio to Las Terrazas, an UNESCO preserved eco-reserve where there is also a small rural community overlooking a large lake and surrounded by forested hills.
Visit the immaculately restored former French coffee plantation buildings dating back to the 19th Century.
Discover the fascinating history of Cuba’s coffee production an industry so closely linked to the slave trade. Explore the local lakeside village of Las Terrazas and meet some of the friendly local community. Explore the studio of the famous artist Lester Campa and visit the small pottery and handicraft stalls specialising in local handmade arts and crafts.
Spend time at the idyllic San Juan River, relax by the riverside or the more active can take a walk along the riverbank towards the ruins of the La Victoria coffee plantations.
Day 2 | Vinales Valley
A classic introduction to the UNESCO preserved World Heritage site. Visit the famous Vinales Valley viewpoint where you can look down on the valley dotted with tobacco drying houses and the spectacular karst limestone scenery.
Drive through the Dos Hermanos Valley with the limestone ‘Mogote’ cliffs towering above and make a short stop at the Pre-History Mural.
Visit El Palenque De Los Cimarrones, a cave in the cliffs that recreates one of the nomadic homes set up by runaway slaves and the caves of El Indio.
Visit an artist project where a local farmer has created unique and amazing wood sculptures from roots and foliage found in the valley. Now a small museum his studio offers a fascinating insight into his work, that gradually is becoming recognised outside Cuba.
Day 3 | Vinales & Sora
Choose from either horse riding, a gentle guided walk, a challenging hike, or a scenic bike ride.
Visit the Botanical Gardens at Soroa, the largest collection of orchids that can be found in Latin America. With magnificent views of the rolling palm clad hills of the Sierra Del Rosario the gardens are beautiful and contain over 700 species of Orchid alone. Enjoy a short walk to the impressive Soroa waterfall, a tranquil setting in a sub-tropical valley.